Master Printing,Traditional Darkroom
Custom One-on-One or Two-Person Workshops
As someone who worked side-by-side with Ansel Adams, and who has made numerous prints from his original negatives for over 30 years, Alan Ross knows Ansel’s darkroom and master printing techniques perhaps better than any other photographer today.
You can learn to use these same tricks and techniques to print the image you envisioned at the moment of inspiration, transforming the literal to the expressive, the ordinary to the exquisite.
Under Alan’s patient and expert guidance, you will immerse yourself in the magic and methodology of the traditional darkroom, completing the creative cycle with complete confidence and control.
What You’ll Gain
Working one-on-one with Alan in his Santa Fe studio and darkroom, you will learn to:
- Evaluate a negative
- Choose a paper and make and evaluate a test print
- Understand and choose processing chemicals
- Use hands-free dodging and burning to achieve extraordinary control of print tonality
- Process and present a print to museum standards
- Film testing
- Lens choice
- Use of filters
- Exposure and processing
- Duration: 1 to 5 days
- Experience Level: Intermediate to Advanced
- Class Size: One or two
- Dates: Subject to availability. Please contact Alan directly by email with specific dates in mind.
- Location: Santa Fe, NM. (NOTE: Alan is also available to work with you in your own space/environment. Travel time and expenses may apply.)
- Lodging: Santa Fe has many choices, from camping to luxury hotels. We’re happy to help you find accommodations to suit your needs and fit your budget.
- Fees: $550 per day, $2475 per week, for one person. For two people: $875 per day, $3950 per week. Deposit of 20% required to hold your dates. Balance of workshop fee due at end of session. PLEASE NOTE: Workshop fees go up as of January 1, 2017, as follows: $750 per day for 1 – 2 days; $700 per day for 3 – 5 days. 2016 workshop pricing will be honored for any 2017 workshop booked and paid for in full by December 31, 2016.
- Materials & Other Charges: Most people find it more convenient to work with the paper and materials on hand in Alan’s darkroom. These are billed at approximate MSRP on an as-used basis.
- Cancellations: Changes sometimes do need to be made, so the deposit will be refunded in full if cancellation is made 60 days prior to the scheduled workshop start, 50% between 60 and 30 days, and no refund with less than 30 days notice.